Current Series

Current Series
*For sermon audio see our main site: www.wbchamilton.com

Friday, October 31, 2008

Above All

We've sung the very popular Paul Baloche song (co-written by Lenny LeBlanc) "Above All" countless times at Westside, and it has definitely become a favorite of many. Actually, this song was one of my favorites for a long time; the music composed so beautifully - soft and reflective at times, powerful - evoking a wave of emotion, at others.

One of the first times I heard the song, I scribbled a few lyrics in the front of my Bible - what I felt was the driving lyric that "made" the song.

Crucified
Laid behind a stone
You lived to die
Rejected and alone
Like a rose
Trampled on the ground
You took the fall, and thought of me
Above All


Powerful lyrics! But... are they theologically accurate? This week I spent some time thinking about that last phrase (in bold); He (Jesus) did indeed take the fall ... but was it me that he was thinking of, above ... all?

I think it warrants a closer look; some consideration. Did Jesus really think of me, or did he think of His Father above all? What was Jesus' last thought on the cross?

Matthew 27:46 records Jesus' last moments on the cross:
"About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'"
Luke 23:46 says:

"Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last."


In the final days, as recorded in Matthew 26:36-46, Jesus pleaded with the Father; He pleaded for another way, asked for the cup to be taken from Him, if there was another way. If there is no other way, Jesus would be obedient.

I would venture that Jesus' last thought was about the Father, and His obedience to the Father's will and plan for reconciliation. It's implied that through that thought and action, we were thought of... am I being too picky here? Or is there a theological problem with that statement?

Will we keep singing "Above All" at Westside? Probably... but for me, that last line will have me wondering. To God be the Glory! I praise God for His gift of reconciliation and redemption, for providing us a way to eternal fellowship with Him! But might we be careful to be true to His word and not distort it.

Thank you Father, for sacrificing Your Son, Jesus... that through His obedience to You, I might have reconciliation, renewal and eternal life. Might I never be so haughty to think that my lowly life might have taken preeminence over Jesus' obedience to You. Amen.


Please feel free to leave your thoughts and comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment