Current Series

Current Series
*For sermon audio see our main site: www.wbchamilton.com

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Pop Culture, The Bible and some Thoughts

I had a great discussion late last night with Brock, and during our discussion, among other things, we briefly touched on the transformation that happens when we receive forgiveness for our sins; we become convicted of our sins, we realize how short (really short!) we fall from God, and we get a glimpse of the uphill battle of changing the way we live. We are also astounded by the grace that is bestowed upon us ... but how quickly we lose our guilty conscience. How quickly we rely on grace, and go on sinning.

I was listening to a song today, and as usual I won't 'plug' the artist, however the song is said to be about "various normal people being drastically changed by the media and papparazzi", and one line goes like this:
"But I must confess, I'm in love with my own sins"
What a terrible and disturbing thing to sing. The song is upbeat, pleasant, catchy and light-hearted, but tucked away in the middle of the song are those two short lines that teenagers are singing along with, oblivious to the real message. As disturbing as it is, it's the reality of the world we live in. How many of our friends, family members, co-workers, and dare I say, fellow believers, are in love with their sin?

Consider what is written in 1 John 3 (ESV [emphasis mine]):
4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. 10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
The challenge is before us. What sin do we tolerate? What sins do we not only tolerate, but embrace? I write this with a growing sense of uneasiness. I know in my heart that I have sin that I embrace. Perhaps we all do. Maybe we embrace the thought that a little gossip won't hurt, after all, it's not really gossip... or, this isn't really considered idolatry... couldn't be... it's just a hobby! Oh, that word isn't really 'cursing' per se, it's not even really considered profane, it's no big deal...

I'll encourage you, while I sit here ... guilty ... to reflect on the sin that you love. Pray with me today, as I ask God to convict my heart and name my sin, that I might be challenged to pursue righteousness. This is always a scary prayer, to be sure, but we can have confidence that God wants us to pray it - He wants us to pursue righteousness, and we can only do that by facing our sin.

1 comment:

  1. Lately, I have been reading through Job and found something very 'eye opening' as some would say. In Chapter 34:21, it reads: “For God carefully watches the way people live; he sees everything they do”. This of course is not something new (a new realization) but something always quickly forgotten. I mention this because of remembering what you said in your blog, 'Pop Culture, The Bible and some Thoughts' - “We are also astounded by the grace that is bestowed upon us ... but how quickly we lose our guilty conscience. How quickly we rely on grace, and go on sinning”. I have been blessed by the Holy Spirit through the willingness to reject my sin, because it no longer has authority over me. How I am thankfully reminded of constant, continual, steadfast focus on Him that grants more blessings and joy than the world ever could. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete