Current Series

Current Series
*For sermon audio see our main site: www.wbchamilton.com

Monday, January 26, 2009

Truth

My colleague at work has a short adage on her white board. A reminder of sorts - a short word of encouragement. It says this:

"Walk Your Truth"

I've seen this statement several times as I stop by to chat while enjoying a cup of coffee; her office is on my way back from the coffee maker... and I've pondered these three words each time I see them. I suppose, in our therapeutic circles, it must mean that we should exemplify what we believe to be true. If you believe something about yourself, you must live it out. For example, if you believe that violence is detrimental to society - hitting your spouse would be out-of-line with what you believe to be true, and you must therefore change your behavior to be in-line with your beliefs.

In many circumstances, this short adage appears to be true... and yet, to me, very troubling. I see these three words eroding true faith in Jesus Christ. It may be ironic to use the word "true" in that sentence; nonetheless, we are not the source of truth, are we? When we become a source of truth, we become our own god. We will be led by whatever we believe to be accurate - we have no reason for God. Live in whichever way we see fit. As long as we remain dedicated and committed to our own sense of truth - we're doing just fine. It reminds me of Romans 1:
24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. (ESV [emphasis mine])
Consider this: real truth from Psalm 25:4-5 (ESV [again, emphasis mine]):
4 Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
teach me your paths.
5 Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long.
I ask God that He would lead me in His truth each and every day. May I (and you) never be sucked into the trap of moralism, or setting ourselves on the task of explaining what is true. May we not look inside ourselves, or to the world, to tell us what is true. It is only when we look to Him, that we find it. It is only when we obey it that we will be blessed.

Walk His Truth.

1 comment:

  1. Out of numerous blog readings, I have yet to comment until now. I guess it was something I was afraid of... I really don't know. But after reading your story 'Truth' and realizing the significance of the statement “Walk His Truth”: it has been entirely a blessing reminder (because don't we all get caught up with the things of this world) during these past couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete