Current Series

Current Series
*For sermon audio see our main site: www.wbchamilton.com

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Grace

I was in a conversation this evening with someone who committed her life to Christ after many years in the catholic church. I asked her what, in her experience, was the biggest difference in her spiritual life and her understanding of Jesus Christ was, since her conversion. Now, I could come up - in very short order - with several distinct doctrines and beliefs, but I was curious, and wanted to hear it from her, rather than relying on my own ideas. Her answer was so simple, concise and refreshing... it was nothing short of amazing.

Here's what she said:

"I was brought up believing that I had to earn my salvation and I felt that there wasn't enough that I could do.", then, "It was so legalistic". She went on to mention how guilty she felt at that point in her life. But then she said the most wonderful thing: "Then I realized that I can be saved by grace - that there's nothing I can do to earn it, it's just grace."

Even as I type this and recall her expression and visible relief, I am amazed, and my heart feels full.

It was fitting, then, that as I worked my way through my evening devotions, that I am at Galatians 2. For the sake of brevity, I won't go into much detail about the context of Galatians, but as I enter the second chapter, I notice that the writer, Paul, is defending 'his' gospel - the gospel, given to him by Jesus Christ (Gal. 1:12). There were many questions about this former persecutor of Christians and the gospel he brings - especially by the Judaizers - and Paul invests much effort to defend his position and intentions.

In chapter 2, Paul is describing a journey to Jerusalem, where he is accompanied by Barnabas and Titus. Titus, we are told in verse 3, was a Greek and was uncircumcised. This might have been seen as an act of provocation - taking a Gentile to the 'headquarters' of the Jerusalem church! Well - Paul, Barnabas and Titus walk into the church anyway, and a discussion ensues about Titus' lack of circumcision. We're told in verse 4 that,
"This matter arose because some false teachers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves." (NIV)
These false teachers took issue with Titus, and insisted that he be circumcised to fulfill the Mosaic Law.

What happens next is so encouraging! Paul writes, "We did not give in to them for a moment" (NIV).

Paul affirms that Titus' salvation was not dependent on his circumcision, and neither is our salvation dependent on our works or rites.

The woman I spoke with this evening is free from the ritualistic and legalistic practices of the catholic church - and rejoices in the grace that is given freely. I pray that tonight you will be reminded of that joy - that overwhelming relief that we are justified by grace, not by our works or the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment