Current Series

Current Series
*For sermon audio see our main site: www.wbchamilton.com

Monday, March 23, 2009

Joshua 14:11 / "Step By Step You'll Lead Me"

I am as strong now as I was when Moses sent me on that journey, and I can still travel and fight as well as I could then. (NLT)

Wow... I hope that someday in the future I will have the confidence like Caleb to say the same about my life. Now, we know from this passage in Joshua, that Caleb commissions to Joshua how the Lord had promised him land: he requests his land. And if we read before verse 11, Caleb shares with us that, "10The Lord has kept him alive and well"; thus, being the reason why he requests his land. Moreover, to why I stated at the beginning to hopefully someday fulfill the same allegation as Caleb; however, for the course of the very day Jesus entered my heart, the start of my journey (instead of how Moses sent out Caleb on his journey). Surely, in the same way, it is for all of us and our journeys along side Jesus to eventually proclaim: "I am as strong now as I was when [Jesus] sent me on [my] journey, and I can still travel and fight (that is to tussle when sharing the Gospel of course) as well as I could then!" Furthermore, I am reminded of an amazing analogy, illustration, anecdote or whatever you want to call it.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me... (Matt 11:29). "The picture is of two oxen pulling a cart or plow, one of them a veteran, the other a youngster in training" - J. I. Packer.

This next part, something essential to keep in mind on our focused path, our life journey along side Jesus.

"A wooden yoke fastened over both their necks links them side by side. The young ox, paired with the veteran, learns to pull by imitating the other; indeed it's only choice for comfort in this twosome is to keep in step with the older partner. In the disciple's case, pairing with Jesus and learning from Jesus will be a lifelong business" - J. I. Packer.

I challenge those of you who are not in step with Jesus to go on a walk, or whenever you find yourself traveling from one place to another on foot, to imagine this wonderful illustration of yourself baring arms with our one and only Saviour, Jesus Christ. Maintaining a fixation on which when you slow down or drift away (reflect on your life), that your intentions may not have been completely focused on God and that they need to be corrected in order to consistantly walk with joy, peace, and comfort to which God is in control and will never disappoint. This has always been an intimate time for me and I hope the same for those who read this as well.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understandings; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight! - Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment