Current Series

Current Series
*For sermon audio see our main site: www.wbchamilton.com

Friday, April 24, 2009

Scripture X3: II

(Continuing from "Scripture, Scripture and more Scripture")

Many of these verses to begin with are ones that I am sure seem very common and familiar to us all; ones that we have known since the beginning of our faith journey with God. Although, the further we move along, I'm sure the bulk of newer verses will gradually sound less familiar; and the point here is to make the unfamiliar: familiar!

Before I post the next ten verses I would like to share what Richard J. Foster states from his Book, "Life with God." He says that when he comes across a particular scripture (after the reading of a certain passage) "will often write out that excerpt on an index card and carry it with him throughout the day for reflection whenever he has the chance to read it again." He continues to say that, "This is one way of seeking the gentle leading of God's Spirit. Such humble submission to the text allows God to shape the attitude and posture of our hearts." This is huge while each of us personally makes the time for Bible study and memorization of the written Word. Just one or a list of verses helps us to see the importance behind memorization - like a grocery list helps one when shopping. What I mean is that the routine of opening the saved list of verses on my iPod, increasingly helps me to realize that I must master theses verses so I will not have to constantly reach for a Bible; because you and I will not always have a Bible at the tip of our fingers. Consequently, I should have them memorized so for whatever circumstance arises, I will be ready and willing to share off the tip of my tongue what God has helped me store within my heart.

11.  "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

12. "And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38).

13. "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12).

14. "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,  for those who are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).

15. "The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world" (John 1:9).

16. "Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth" (Genesis 1:26).

17. "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship" (Romans 12:1).

18. "but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

19. "And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me" (Matthew 28:18).

20. "Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

(All ESV Translation)

No comments:

Post a Comment